To legally get married in Massachusetts there is a three day waiting period before you can obtain your marriage license. You must apply for the marriage license in person together; if only one of you applies for the marriage license it will not be valid. However, the marriage license does not have to be picked up by both of you.
– The waiting period can take place over weekends.
Example: If you apply for your license on Friday, you will be able to pick it up on Monday after the waiting period.
– The cost for a marriage license in Boston is $50.00 USD.
– A marriage license from Boston is only valid for sixty (60) days from the original date you filed for it
– This license cannot be used out of state
– A three day waiting period can be applied for at the city or town clerk’s office where you apply and then presented to a court of competent jurisdiction for approval
Please note that this is not guaranteed to be available right away and Royal Ocean Events cannot help in this process
– In Boston, proof of age is required if under the age of (24) twenty-four. For proof of age, a certified birth record or passport is required.
– No blood tests are required
– No witnesses are required
Boston City Hall
One City Hall Square
Boston, MA 02201
You can find directions to the City Hall at: http://www.cityofboston.gov/contact/directions.asp
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Tuesday: 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM & Thursday – Friday: 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM
The Registry Marriages is closed on Holidays and Weekends.